From the moment of puberty, almost everyone yearns for blemish-free, clear skin. While there are hundreds of different techniques offered on the market to help clean your skin as a teen, the older you get, the more disturbances your skin gets, which can’t always be treated with a simple wash. When this occurs, you might need something a little stronger to get rid of these impurities and that requires the complete removal of skin layers.
Pure by Alpha Dermatology has two convenient locations in Bucks County that strive to provide the best Chemical Peel results in both the New Hope and Sellersville, PA areas. If you want a fresh, clean feeling face with fewer impurities, please continue reading below to find out more about this treatment.
A Chemical Peel is a skin exfoliating treatment that uses a chemical solution to remove the layers of dead, dry skin, revealing fresh, younger skin underneath. Chemical peels are often used to help improve fine lines and wrinkles, acne, scars, uneven skin color, and other skin imperfections. The type of chemical used will determine the depth of your peel and the type of skin condition treated.
Light Chemical Peel: Best for patients with uneven pigmentation, dryness, acne, or fine wrinkling. This peel removes only the outer layer of skin (epidermis) and results in a healthier glow. It uses a combination of alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids, such as glycolic acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid, and maleic acid. This treatment can be performed at regular intervals.
Medium Chemical Peel: Great for our patients who are dealing with acne scars, deeper wrinkles, or uneven skin color. The chemicals in a medium peel remove skin cells from both the outer layer of skin and the upper part of the middle layer of your skin (dermis). This chemical uses TCA (trichloroacetic acid), Jessner’s solution, and glycolic acid. Deep Chemical Peel: Patients should look into this level of peel if they have deeper facial wrinkles, skin that’s damaged by the sun, scars, and areas that appear blotchy or even pre-cancerous growths. The Aesthetician will let you know if you should consider a deep peel during your consultation. This treatment uses the strongest chemical called phenol which penetrates the deepest dermal layers of your skin and may require a pretreatment consisting of a retinoic acid cream or gel for about eight weeks before the actual procedure. This will help prepare your skin for the peel and speed up your healing process.
Types of Peels We Offer
VI Peel: The VI Peel is a skin-resurfacing chemical peel that stimulates collagen and increases cellular turnover to reveal smoother and more radiant skin. VI Peel provides custom exfoliation blends to target specific skin concerns, such as acne/ acne scarring, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, and overall skin rejuvenation. VI Peels are painless, safe for all skin types, and deliver incredible results! A series of 3-4 treatments is recommended for optimal results.
Pure Peel: Our Pure Peel is a mild chemical exfoliant that provides an instant refreshed and renewed appearance. With little to no downtime, the Pure Peel improves overall skin tone and texture for a brighter and smoother complexion.
VI Peel Body: First-of-its-kind, non-invasive, and pain-free. VI Peel Body treatments stimulate anti-aging collagen to increase cellular turnover. Help target troubled areas and reveal smoother, more radiant skin in just one treatment. Safe for all skin types, tones, and textures – it’s a peel for everybody. Effective for the following skin concerns: Pigmentation and fine lines on the Décolleté, Body Acne, Scars from Acne, Surgeries, or Injuries, Stretch Marks, and Sagging skin.
What are the Benefits of Chemical Peels?
Some of the benefits that our New Hope and Sellersville Chemical Peel patients have seen from their treatments are:
- Balances texture
- Customizable treatments
- Erases fine lines and wrinkles
- Fades discoloration
- Lifts skin
- Minimizes pores
- Soothes scarring
- Smooths skin
- Treats acne
Lighter chemical peels can be used on almost all skin types, but deeper peels should only be performed on patients with extreme skin conditions and with the agreement of the Aesthetician. A great candidate for a Chemical peel is anyone who:
- Are in overall good health
- Has skin conditions that they would like to fix
- Is positive and maintains realistic expectations from their treatment
Unfortunately, we can not recommend a chemical peel for any patient who:
- Can’t stay out of the sun for the healing period
- Has taken the oral acne medication isotretinoin (Myorisan, Claravis, others) in the past six months
- Has a personal or family history of ridged areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue (keloids)
- Have frequent or severe outbreaks of cold sores
- Have skin conditions or take medications that make your skin more sensitive
- Is currently pregnant
What’s the first step?
The first step in getting a Chemical Peel in New Hope and Sellersville, PA is to contact Pure by Alpha Dermatology and schedule a consultation with a member of our Aesthetician team. When you come in, the Aesthetician will examine your skin and make suggestions about which level of peel would be best for you. You will be able to ask any questions that you may have and express any concerns. Once you and the Aesthetician come to an agreement on which peel treatment you are comfortable getting, a treatment plan will be made for you and our Patient Coordinator will help you select a treatment date and time, as well as provide you with any necessary directions to follow before your appointment.
What to Expect on the Day of Specialty Chemical Peels
When you come in for your Chemical Peel, the chemical solution will be carefully applied to your skin to improve its texture by removing the damaged outer layers. Your experience will vary depending on the level of peel you are getting.
- Light Chemical Peel: The Aesthetician cleans your face and then brushes the chemical solution onto your skin, leaving it on for only a few minutes. You may feel a mild stinging sensation while it’s on your skin. The solution is then washed off and neutralized.
- Medium Chemical Peel: Your face will be cleansed and the chemical solution is brushed onto your skin. During the few minutes it’s left on your skin, you may feel some burning or stinging. Using a cool saline compress, the solution will be neutralized, but your skin may turn a whitish-grey color.
- Deep Chemical Peel: During a deep peel, you will first be administered a sedative to help you relax and be more comfortable, followed by a local anesthetic to numb your face. The phenol solution is brushed onto your face for an appropriate amount of time. Afterward, the solution is neutralized with water. The Aesthetician will apply a thick coat of ointment onto your skin to prevent dryness and pain. To keep this ointment in place, your skin will be covered with strips of tape or medicated gauze.
Chemical Peels Recovery
- Light Chemical Peel: You will most likely experience some redness, stinging, skin flaking, and mild irritation after your treatment, however, the side effects will be less severe after frequent treatments.
- Medium Chemical Peel: Days after your peel, your skin may turn red or brown, but should return to normal after the peeling process begins, which can last up to a week. During your recovery, make sure you keep your skin moisturized. You should avoid sunlight and use sunblock for several months to protect your new layer of skin.
- Deep Chemical Peel: You will need to rest for about two weeks after this treatment, which means you should stay home from work and avoid strenuous activities. You should expect peeling, crusting, skin redness, and discomfort for several days up to several weeks. Although the swelling should disappear after about two weeks, your skin can remain red for up to three months. One deep peel treatment can last up to 10 years.
The cost of a Chemical Peel in New Hope and Sellersville is determined by a number of factors, but primarily the depth of chemical peel you need. After meeting with your Aesthetician for a consultation, they will create your customized treatment plan and you will have a better idea of how much your procedure will be.
Pure by Alpha Dermatology has two convenient locations in New Hope and Sellersville, PA. Our Medical Spa is led by Carly Overland, a 10+ year, board-certified Physicians Assistant who has developed a strong clientele thanks to her positive attitude and attention to aesthetic detail. We do our best to stay on the leading edge of the cosmetic treatment industry by regularly attending aesthetic lectures and training sessions. Our team is dedicated to providing you with factual information and guidance when you’re trying to decide on the best treatments for your skin.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you’re in the New Hope or Sellersville area and would like a more rejuvenated appearance with smoother skin and fewer wrinkles, then a Chemical Peel from Pure by Alpha Dermatology could be perfect for you. To schedule a consultation with a member of our Aesthetician team, call the nearest location to you or request an appointment and one of our friendly and knowledgeable team members will get in touch with you.
Chemical Peels FAQs
Your procedure questions answered.
Awesome office staff and Carly, Drew and Dr Shrager are phenomenal! Highly recommend. My appointment this time was with Carly and I couldn’t be happier. Very professional, knowledgeable and you can tell she really knows what she’s doing. Alpha Derm is the best!
The results were amazing. I strongly believe that a good filler job means you can’t spot a filler job and she nailed it. I look like me, but more refreshed and younger!
Love the place! The team is wonderful, skilled and very calming. Dr. Shrager is my favorite! Oh, and the renovation looks amazing!
To Feel Beautiful
- Carly Overland